Number of Workers Sought4
Type of FarmHay & Forage, Small Animal (pigs, rabbits, poultry), Vegetable, Other
Type of Farm (Other)Diverse vegetables, cut flowers, and hay
Marketing StrategyCommunity Supported Agriculture, Farm Stand, Farmers' Market, Restaurant, Wholesale
Pay RateWe provide a stipend of $200 to $325 a week for interns as well as housing and any food grown on the farm. The manager position pays $16,000 to $20,000 for 8 months DOE
Describe your farm operation
Mill Crick Farm and Fourth Wave Farm are jointly managed by Lindsey Aull and Randall Mark in the Bitterroot Valley in Western Montana. We grow certified organic mixed vegetables and cut flowers on about 15 acres. Our markets are a mix of wholesale, farmers market, and a roadside farm stand. We have several high tunnels for season extension and a greenhouse for field starts and bedding plants. We also grow alfalfa hay on around 20 acres. We are currently seeking three interns for the 2018 growing season. For the three intern positions, we are looking for motivated individuals who enjoy working outside and have a desire to learn about farming.
The manager position will work directly with the farm owners and must have 2-3 years prior experience working on vegetable farms. The right applicant has experience in wholesale and retail produce standards, is self motivated, pays attention to detail, has good time management, is a proficient record keeper, and has a good attitude. During different parts of the season responsibilities will vary and a general understanding of commercial vegetable farming is necessary. The position is salaried and pay depends on experience.
Describe the work to be performed by applicantInternship work will include duties in the greenhouse and field, including seeding, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, and processing/washing produce for sale. We will be working in all weather, which will vary greatly over the course of the season.
The Manager’s responsibilities will include:
1) Working with field crew weeding, transplanting, irrigation, and harvest
2) Supervising operation of our farmstand: stocking and shrinking produce, keeping inventory, cleaning, caring for a 20x24 greenhouse for bedding plant sales April thru end of June.
3) Operating our booth at the Hamilton Farmers Market: setting up and take down, representing the farm and interacting with customers, having general knowledge of produce and plant starts, proficiency in adding and giving change
4) Overseeing and participating in pack house operations: being familiar with produce marketability standards,facilitating efficient washing, sorting, and packing produce for sale
5) Delivery: Doing deliveries around Western Montana. Mostly within an hour of the farm but possibly one day a week that would be all driving.