What is the Farmer Mentor Program?
Help train the next generation of farmers! Community Food and Agriculture Coalition’s (CFAC) Farmer Mentor Program is designed to provide training and support to experienced farmers who host workers on their farm. In partnership with the Quivira Coalition, The Farmer Mentor Program provides training and technical support to farm employers and mentors in: finding workers who are qualified and a good fit; understanding the legalities and logistics related to having an on-farm employee; communicating with farm workers and evaluating their work and learning.
Additionally, farmers who enroll in the Farmer Mentor Program will get to share their experience and knowledge with other beginning farmers. CFAC’s Farmer Mentor Program is an integral piece of a new educational program for beginning farmers called the Certified Farm Startup Program (CFS). The CFS program will be aimed at providing new farmers the skills and tools they need to start their own farm.
- Have at least 3 years of professional farming experience
- Interest in teaching and training beginning farmers
- Desire to learn new skills as a farm employer and mentor
- Receive a generous stipend of up-to $750 to be used towards professional development opportunities of your choosing (attend a farmer conference, farm course, books, webinar series, travel to another farm to learn from them, etc.)
- As a Farmer Mentor you will have access to numerous trainings and workshops to help you gain new skills and knowledge:
- Free online mentor series covering topics like: hiring tips, best practices in communicating with employees and mentees, how to balance education and work on your farm, conflict resolution, and more!
- Free two part training on Employment Law
- One-on-one support from CFAC staff
- Access to a mentor resource library
- Access to a network of other mentors for peer-to-peer support and learning
Time Commitment and Expectation:
- Attend at least 6 online webinars and 2 Employment Law trainings throughout winter of 2023/2024. Classes begin in early November and the last workshop will be sometime in April.
- For those who have more time during a specific time or month of year ask about our Accelerated Farmer Mentor Program Course option! The option is best for folks who have limited time during the winter but still want to participate OR have a project they want to use the stipend funds for sooner in the year.
- Share or present at one virtual meeting for CFS participants OR host a hands-on learning experience/work day at your farm or ranch
- Be willing to provide feedback about your experience through program evaluations
Registration for this program for the 2023-2024 cohort opens on September 1st and closes October 15th. Fill out this simple form to register on or after September 1st, 2024. Space limited, so register soon.
If you would like to learn more about the Farmer Mentor Program, please email email@example.com.
Registered mentors can access our Mentor Hub by clicking below. You can find call recordings, notes from workshops, additional resources, and links to upcoming calls!